- VACANCY NOTICE VA/FTA/083/18
- Position number : 10028096
- Location : UNHCR Sub Office, Cox`s Bazar, Bangladesh
- Duration : Initially for a period of 1 (one) year
- Date of Entry on Duty : as soon as possible
- Category and Level : NOA - National Officer (Fixed Term Appointment)
Job Description / Responsibility
- UNHCR's policies, standards and procedures are constantly and coherently applied in the area of responsibility (AoR).
- UNHCR's country operation has sufficient support in the field of site planning and is thus better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- Assist in conducting technical feasibility studies (site assessments) for the identification of adequate additional sites in close coordination with local authorities, as well as with the concerned line Ministries and implementing partners.
- Verify that basic technical criteria of land availability/property, accessibility, security, topography, water resources, absorption capacity, and adequate terrain for proper sanitation facilities are taken into consideration while selecting potential sites.
- Assist with the scheduling and following up of plot/facility demarcation works in the field for site developments/improvements.
- Follow up and support the development of transit centre sites for the appropriate use of available land and safe siting of the following components; community facilities and infrastructure works including road and drainage works, water, sanitation and hygiene facilities, community services, education and health, security lighting and potential power line works.
- Provide support to the shelter team with the supervision of the implementation of shelter construction works and report on progress made, difficulties observed on daily basis, including winterisation and maintenance issues.
- Establish and maintain relations with all stakeholders and ensure that site planning/site development activities are conducted in a manner which guaranties staff and refugee safety in the site.
- Assist in any decongestion process to enable the refugees to live in a better, healthier environment.
- Monitor and evaluate construction works in the settlements, including site fencing, waiting areas & other infrastructures.
- Assist in other engineering tasks such as structural assessment works, drafting of work specifications, cost estimates, design sketches & tender evaluation.
- Closely monitor the implementation of site development projects under the area of responsibility and ensure the provisions of the agreements signed with the implementing partners are being complied with to UNHCR standards.
- Prepare regular reports on work progress of various urban planning activities and provide urban planning inputs to the technical unit's monthly Situation Report.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Provide recommendations for the establishment of projects, adjustments or discontinuation of existing projects and advise UNHCR management accordingly.
- Represent UNHCR in meetings related to urban planning and liaise with local authorities, NGOs, IPs and other stake holders on urban planning issues.
Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master's) in Architecture, Urban Planning, Urban Design, Civil / Environmental / Public Health Engineering, Social Development or a similar operational field.
At least 1 year(s)
- At least 1 year of hands-on technical support including experience in assistance delivery in emergencies and relief operations.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and ability to use basic survey equipment, digital cameras, GPS receivers and computer equipment.
- Technical drafting and design skills with strong computer-aided drafting (AutoCAD) experience.
- Knowledge of local institutions and technical construction norms.
- Excellent knowledge of English language (spoken, written and read).
- Knowledge of UNHCR systems and operating modalities.
- Understanding of the architecture of the humanitarian sector.
- Excellent knowledge of Chittagonian and/or Rohingya language.
jagojobs.com Online Job Posting